Having beautiful nails is one of the thousand + beauty standards nowadays. A lot of celebrities walk around with beautifully cared for and polished nails 24/7 and on social media you can’t go around the satisfying beauty of nicely done manicure pictures. But for those who don’t have a budget to get a set of acrylic nails or to go to the salon every 4 weeks, I got your back. Here are my 5 top tips and tricks for beautiful, healthy and strong nails.
Everybody is different and that also goes for everyone’s nails, make sure to stay realistic in your goals. Try to improve the health and strength of your nails instead of aspiring to have a certain shape or length. The most important thing is that you are happy with yourself, including your nails.
Now, with that little pep talk done, let’s get into some tips and tricks on how to care for your nails in the best way possible!
- Fake nails, acrylics or gel nails might look absolutely amazing, the truth is, they are not very good for your nails. Slapping on chemical glue and gel is very damaging, especially the process of getting all of it off again. Best is to keep these products very occasionally and always give your nails a break of a few weeks in between so they can catch up and strengthen again.
- There are more factors that can reduce the health and strength of your nails. I was a swimmer and having practice about 4 times a week really payed the price on my nails. The chlorine water from the pool softened my nails and they became very weak. The same effect might appear when doing a lot of cleaning. Of course don’t give up swimming for better nail health or stop cleaning the house, but it is important to give a little extra attention to your nails with crèmes or a hand bath regularly. For cleaning, try wearing little gloves as they protect your nails and hands.
- Just like a healthy and fit body, it all starts in the kitchen. A lack of certain minerals and vitamins can cause unhealthy nails. For example, lack of vitamin D or B12 can cause decolouration of the nails because too much pigment is being created. Important is to have a varied diet and eat lot’s of veggies. Besides making sure you have no lack of any vitamins or minerals, selenium and zinc are very important and are proven to enhance health of the nails. Selenium is, for example, to be found in grains, legumes, rice, eggs and fish. Zinc can be found in nuts and seeds, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, yoghurt/cheese and meat.
- Nail polish looks beautiful and as it’s not as harmful as a set of fake nails, you should still be careful. Don’t leave the polish on longer than 10 days as the paint will be absorbed into the nail and can cause discolouration. When removing, use a nail polish remover without acetone or other aggressive substances. Also, when filing the nails, go in one direction instead of moving back and forth.
- It’s not only your nails that want to be healthy; it’s about the whole picture. Taking care of the cuticles and hands is very important too. Massage them regularly with a hand cream or olive oil for the optimal result. My favorite at the moment is the “Almond Delicious Hands” by L’Occitane, the beautiful soft formula is not sticky and makes your hands super soft. Check out the brand down below!
There you have it, my top tips and tricks for healthy and strong nails. Give them a try and make sure to let me know what your favourite tips are! Scroll down to find my social media links, would love to see you there!
Other great hand cremes/tools: